Thursday, February 13, 2014

Made To Crave Bible Study - The Voice of Truth


There is a song by Casting Crowns that always hits close to home for me.  If you haven't heard it yet here are the lyrics: 

Oh what I would do to have
The kind of faith it takes
To climb out of this boat I'm in
Onto the crashing waves
To step out of my comfort zone
Into the realm of the unknown where Jesus is
And He's holding out His hand
But the waves are calling out my name
And they laugh at me
Reminding me of all the times
I've tried before and failed
The waves they keep on telling me
Time and time again. "Boy, you'll never win!"
"You'll never win!"
[Chorus]
But the voice of truth tells me a different story
The voice of truth says, "Do not be afraid!"
The voice of truth says, "This is for My glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth
Oh what I would do to have
The kind of strength it takes to stand before a giant
With just a sling and a stone
Surrounded by the sound of a thousand warriors
Shaking in their armor
Wishing they'd have had the strength to stand
But the giant's calling out my name
And he laughs at me
Reminding me of all the times
I've tried before and failed
The giant keeps on telling me
Time and time again. "Boy you'll never win!"
"You'll never win!"
But the stone was just the right size
To put the giant on the ground
And the waves they don't seem so high
From on top of them lookin' down
I will soar with the wings of eagles
When I stop and listen to the sound of Jesus
Singing over me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth

*Songwriters  HALL, JOHN MARK / CHAPMAN, STEVEN CURTIS
  Published by  Lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing
 
Can you relate?  I know I can.  I've lost count of how many times in my life I've been afraid to do something, tried to get my courage up, and felt like there was a vice inside of my head saying, "What makes you think you can do this?"  or "You've failed before, you're just going to fail again."
 
But what is the actual truth?  That negative voice is the devil whispering in my ear.  He wants me to fail again - or worse yet - not even try.  He knows that God has a lot He wants me to accomplish for Him, and he doesn't want me to accomplish any of it.  Even when I do have some success, the enemy tries to tell me that it was a fluke...that I'd better enjoy that moment because I'll never have another one.  Sometimes he even uses people I know to try to bring me down, and it's hard enough to hear those negative things from my own head, let alone outside of it.
 
The truth is that God made me - so of course I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  God wants me to succeed, to listen to His voice telling me to put the fear aside and trust Him.  He won't steer me wrong. 
 
I know it will take time to get the enemy's voice out of my head, because even when things are going well he's always going to try to get me to stop believing in God and myself.  The key is to stay in continual prayer, so I can clearly hear the Voice of Truth and do what God wants me to do.
 
I'm ready for the challenge.  How about you?

6 comments:

Barbara Campbell said...

This is a theme song for my life! Love it! Great word!

Nora Rippie said...

I have clung to this song since 2004 in my worst moments! This blog was just the reminder I needed today! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Anonymous said...

I love this song and the message in it. It's so hard but I need to learn to listen to the voice of TRUTH! We are made for more and even if we fail, we can learn and grow. If we never try we will miss out on God's blessings.

I struggle with this but I am ready to step out and follow God.!
Thank you for this word!
-Susan (OBS, Group 50)

Joy said...

Love that song, great thoughts, thank you for sharing!

Trish said...

I posted the video to that song in my blog today!! Such an amazing song!! Those pesky negative voices can sure try and take residence but God's truth is stronger and can kick those lies to the curb!! Thanks very much for sharing!! Blessings to you as you seek Him and all His truths!!!

Trish (P31 OBS Blog Hop Team)

WriterMarie said...

Thanks everyone! I'm so glad it helps you too...we are all in this together and can support each other so we all realize what the truth really is. Blessings to all of you as well!